End-of-Summer Student Showcase
September 10 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Rock to the Future proudly presents our End-of-Summer Student Showcase, featuring performances from the students of our virtual classes. Philadelphia students will perform over video to show off the music and art they created, played, and learned this summer.
Join us on Youtube and Facebook Live and help celebrate our rockstar students! You don’t need an account to view the video, but you will need an account to participate in the live chat to congratulate our students in real time!
STUDENTS, PARENTS, AND GUARDIANS – HOW TO PARTICIPATE
This summer we are bringing the concert to your living room! We want to feature all of our amazing students and have a few ways for you to participate. The first 20 students in grades 6 – 8 and the first 20 students in grades 9 – 12 to submit a video, song, or image will receive a $25 gift card for Black and Mobile, Target, or a video game gift card for your console choice.
Email the video to Josh@RocktotheFuture.org by August 28th. If file size is too large, send via Google Drive or Wetransfer.
How can I participate? Please keep your song choice family friendly (no swears).
- Perform a song by yourself: Record a video performance of a song you are ready to perform.
- Perform a song with a group: Collaborate on a song together with friends. You can use apps like Acapella to do this.
- Submit a Mp3 of a song you created: You can submit a mp3 of yourself performing a song, playing a beat, song remix, or any musical creation you have been working on. Please submit a photo for your submission which will be displayed during the audio track.
- Submit a piece of artwork from the Music and Art class: Participate in the music and art classes with Emerald and submit your artwork to be in the showcase. Take a photo of your artwork and/or a photo of yourself holding up your artwork to be included.
- Book Club: You will either be able to submit a video of yourself reading a poem or book excerpt, or the whole class will be recorded reading something together and saying hello. Ms. Kaami will let you know in class which option you can do.
- Submit a short testimonial: Submit a video of yourself talking about your experience with Rock to the Future. Answer any of the following questions:
- What is your favorite part of learning music?
- Why do you like Rock to the Future?
- What is your favorite memory of Rock to the Future?
Video Submission Guidelines
- Filming your video:
- Videos should be between 30 seconds to 5 minutes long.
- You can film your video on a phone, computer, digital camera, etc. Whichever camera you use, please film in “landscape” (horizontally, so it’s longer side-to-side, and not vertically or up-and-down). The showcase will play on Youtube and Facebook, which both look better in landscape.
- After pushing record on your device, wait 2-5 seconds before starting to speak.
- If you’re performing a song, start the video with your name and the name of the song you are performing (if you are performing a song).
- End your video with a sign off — “Thanks for watching!” “Keep rocking!” “Bye!”
- Leave 2-5 seconds of silence before ending the recording.
- Watch your video to see your awesome self!
- Filming tips:
- Give your phone camera a quick wipe with your shirt to clean the lens.
- Frame the video so that you are clearly visible, preferably in the middle of the screen with some room above your head and to either side of you.
- It’s best if you can record at your eye level, so that you are looking at the camera and your shoulders are also in view.
- Find a quiet place to film your performance. Things like air conditioners, fans, and even the refrigerator can make a lot of background noise, and often you’re so used to them that you can’t even hear it! Try to turn off fans and air conditioners during your performance, or to find a room without large appliances.
- Do a test video first! Check the framing to make sure you look good on camera, and listen to your sound quality and volume, make sure your background isn’t too loud.
When is the virtual show? The first virtual show is Thursday, September 10th at 7pm.
What if I want to participate but don’t know how to record yourself? Email Josh@RocktotheFuture.org or talk with your instructor to set up a session for us to help you record your video.